Friday, June 24, 2011

Lessons on Apostleship

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:13-19)


 I just imagine, what if St. Peter entered the seminary in this modern time? I think, with various tests and programs that will be given for a candidate for priesthood, he may not pass.  And he was boastful, proud, knows nothing except fishing. However, Jesus made him the first pope and entrusted to him the keys of heaven's gate.  St. Paul was a Pharisee and a former persecutor of the early Church.  He was one of the responsible for the death of St. Stephen. But he was transformed miraculously into a great apostle and pillar of Christianity.


I have reflected on myself.  I am a great sinner. I am unworthy but it becomes not a reason for God to call me.  He shows me that my past does not define my future.  I have committed a lot of sins but God in his love did not will to condemn me but he taught me a lot of things and made me a vessel of his grace.


Before I bid goodbye to the young people in Pasig in order to enter seminary, I was touched how they showed their love to me by preparing video presentations and giving me roses and gifts. I have realized at that time that I have been instrument of God to these young people.  In my own way, God made use of my sinful hands and lips to impart his message to them.


Here in my pastoral exposure assignment as I prepare myself to my formal seminary entrance next year, I must always realize that it is God's love alone which is the reason why I am here.  Therefore, I must be pleasing to God always.  I must show to God gratitude by doing all things for his greater glory.

I remember what a priest once told us in our college years: The Church does not need ministers but persons configured to Christ.  I am called not just to be a minister of the sacraments but most importantly for my life to be likened and one with Christ.  Then, I will become his effective and true minister. 


My calling is the same as you, my fellow young people.  Not all of us are called to be priests or religious.  You may be called to be youth leaders. But it is still a call to be likened and one with Christ.  Often, when we think of youth leaders, we just think of attending meetings, planning activities or facilitating our group.  But it is more than that! We commonly forget the pastoral aspect of our call.  We are called to be role models.  If you can observe, young people today are having actors and actresses, athletes and singers as role models.  No wonder if they imitate their immodest fashions and followed their worldly ways of thinking.  (Although I am not generalizing. ) So, it is our duty primarily to be someone that they can look up to and for them to imitate.  They must see Christ in us and may they be evangelized through the example of our lives.  Sad to say, we still remain as nominal Catholics.  That is why many of the youth today remains unconverted.  Because we have not been effective instruments of God's grace.  They do not see in our lives, the ways we proclaim by our lips.


Another characteristic of a true pastor is having a mature way of thinking.  That is why, it is good that we do not just elect leaders but we appoint.  We must make sure that a leader can handle responsibilities well and will not panic once he found himself in the driver's seat.  But we do admit that even if we ask each youth a hundred questions for initial interview, we cannot fully know his or her fitness in the ministry.  That is why, we must have a continuous follow up and training of these leaders.  And these leaders and us must also recognize our need for youth ministers like our parish priests, parish lay leaders and parents to help us fulfill our responsibilities. And we must have the willingness to learn and improve ourselves so that God's grace will truly mold us into effective leaders and pastors for our fellow young people.  St. Paul once says about the grace of God in him: But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)

There will be times that we will feel discouragement and frustrations. I observe that some youth leave the ministry because of this.  We must be strong and remain faithful. We should remember that these trials are actually opportunities to make us stronger and more mature. And we are needed by our fellow youth. Are we going to sacrifice our ego and pride for them? Let us be encouraged by St. Paul who says: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.(2 Timothy 4:7-8)


May Sts. Peter and Paul be our inspiration.  I believe that they become great apostles by God's grace and by their commitment.  If God planned their conversion and they responded but they backslided afterward, they would not be great apostles that we venerate today.  But they learned from their mistakes and resolve to always do good and be fruitful leaders of the Church. They still commit sins after their conversion but they became saints because of their openness to God's grace and they always strive to be God's servants.

We may not be as great as the two of them but may we imitate their apostleship.  In the midst of our sinfulness, I pray that through the merits of Jesus, king of the apostles and Mary, queen of the apostles, may we learn the lessons on apostleship. May we become saints with pasts and sinners with future.

May we continue to  listen to God's call within us and be continually encouraged as we become apostles for others.  Let us be motivated by St. Peter in his exhortation: Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.(1 Peter 5:2-4)


No comments:

Post a Comment