Saturday, February 26, 2011

God Provides

Jesus says to the crowd: "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?  And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O men of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, `What shall we eat?' or `What shall we drink?' or `What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.  Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." (Matthew 6:25-34)






I remember when the first day I came to work in Metro Manila. A typical probinsiyano who, although already came here many times, not yet familiar with the place. I am on adventure.  I just rely on my friends and companions whom I met for the first time when the bus loaded with new hires were promised to have a good job in Mandaluyong and Makati. I just have P1200 in my wallet. Being the oldest in our family and my father just passed away, our family has a very little support. My mother was sick and I was the breadwinner.  P700 was already spent for my fare and P100 was spent for my food while I was on the ride. We were promised to have a good job and will be getting our salary soon. But since our ATM cards were still on the process, we will be getting our salaries by the 30th, that is, a month from that time. 


As I recall those days, I cannot help but thank God how I managed to survive with just P1200 for more than a month. Without me asking, some of my relatives here in Manila will give me money which is actually more than my basic needs. The company provided us a good place to stay complete with facilities like laundry area, pantry, and a place to sleep including beddings. We also have free food for two weeks (although it was discontinued due to high expense of the company) and our fare on our way here was reimbursed. God has been so good to me since just few days after I decided to look for job, He gave me one which is better than what I have expected. 


Unfortunately, because of too much stress on my first job, I have my contract ended. It is sad since I will be missing my friends and I was thinking of my family's source of income. Two of my siblings were currently in college and I was eager to look for a better and more fulfilling job.  It was only three weeks when a close relative referred me to work in another call center. And the account and line of business there is not difficult because we are not troubleshooting nor dealing with billing nor making product sales. We are just handling customers' request for a field technician and I enjoyed that work for two years.


But due to an offence, I was endorsed to Human Resources who after the case deliberation, transferred me to a new account. I feel sad and worried again. But I never knew it was on God's plan. There I was able to meet new friends who helped me revive my spiritual life and my love for parish work. In my new account, I met a friend who introduced me into the Immaculate Conception Cathedral Parish Youth Council. 


I still have my ongoing strifes and struggles. In my present account, I am able to survive even though sometimes, there may be several problems with my work performance. I feel strength at times when I feel lazy to go to work. I feel inspired at times when I feel like quiting my job. Those things I see as miracles God performs everyday.


We all know that without God, we are nothing. Of course, it is us or in the case of younger ones, our parents who provide our basic needs. But, it is God who gives them strength to work and to have money for food and basic needs. It is God who gives us health and the one who nourishes our relationships with other people. And it is God who wills whether He suspends the laws of nature for us. We may be the one who directs the course of our lives, but if in case He does not wills it, it will not happen.


Thinking about this, why is it that I lack faith in most circumstances of my life? I easily forget that God provides. God gives me the best as long as I put my faith in Him. Sometimes, he even uses my lack of faith to prove to me that He is guiding me in the midst of my doubts. Most of the time I can only complain regarding lots of problems and difficulties, but seeing God's hand at work in my life, I feel ashamed. There are a lot of things that I forget to thank God for. 


Sometimes I am anxious. I usually say, "How can I do this?" or "What if I fail?" But I have learned that as long as I do what is good, God does the rest. 


I remember last Youth Formation Seminar, I was anxious and discouraged since it has been an hour late but it we were only five in the venue. We are just five among the twenty expected participants. I feel discouraged at that time thinking that we have already prepared a lot for that day. But, as we continue our activities,  some attended although late and we have successfully formulated our Parish Youth Council Vision, Mission and Core grace. Plus, we have received the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist with the deeper knowledge and appreciation of these two. We have seen how God works in the midst of our limitations, granting success in what we do as long as we remain faithful to our duties.


"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well."(Matthew 6:33) Do not be anxious except of doing what is right, then God will give you much more than you expect. 






"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you your hearts desire. Commit your life to the Lord and trust in Him...." (Psalm 37:4-5)

No comments:

Post a Comment